www.teflons-torque.com, Teflon's Torque, Tef's-tQ, Teflon-Mike's Web-Site

  HOME Learner-Riders Workshop General Scrap-Book Miscellaneous e-mail  

Little Dream 02 - The Black One

Part 2

Initial Tinkerings

So, we bought 'The Black-One' 30th May 2010, and for almost a year, it sat, wrapped in a duvet cover, untouched, as I couldn't bring myself to break it, nor botch it, and was rather pre-occupied with these little rascals!

1986 Honda CB125TD-C, Head-to-Head

The Pup, and The Corporal, pictured here, just after both were 'finished', .... ish! in June 2011.

You may note that both of these are dressed in a livery, rather like 'The-Black-One'. This is because after much deliberation, I decided that the TD-E's chevron striping is the nicest 'factory' livery they offered, and when it came to having new decals made for the other bikes, I used 'The Black-One' as the template!

So while I say that the 'Black-One' was mothballed, that's not entirely true. It wasn't forgotten about, and the covers did come off from time to time, to have a look at it, if only for reference, and the tank and side-panels were pulled off to trace the original stickers to get the replicas made up for the other bikes.

Honda CB125TD-E, Tracing Decals for replicas Honda CB125TD-E, Tracing Decals for replicas

Meanwhile, with the panels & tank 'off' I had a chance to look more carefully under the skin.

Honda CB125TD-E, "Under the skin Honda CB125TD-E, "Under the skin'

Dirty. Dirty but original! Original 'dirt', perhaps! Anyway, it was all very nice and un-molested, confirming that the bike hadn't been abused, just moderately neglected. And mia-culpa, I wasn't doing much with it either.

Honda CB125 TD-E Honda CB125 TD-E

May 2010 to May ish 2011, a winter under-cover and cleaning the muck off, revealed that the centre stand and exhaust were not faring well! Surface rust was starting to 'creep' and needed nipping in the bud. It was time to get on and get this one sorted.

So...... the Plan.

Well, 'The Plan' had been to buy it, and 'maybe' swap the engine and let Donna use it as a daily rider, while the Pup was in bits. That didn't go to plan! Engine that might have gone in it, went into 'the Corporal', and I wanted to keep as much originality on this one as I could, now, but, doing a top end rebuild in a week-end on the Corporal, gave me confidence & enthusiasm to tear into this 'dead' engine.

So, NEW Plan..... take the engine out, do a top end rebuild.... put it back.

Checking dates; I had decreed the Corpral 'Done', 16th May 2011, and had taken Donna to Hinkley-Rider-Training and booked her repeat CBT, Rider-Training course, and provisional Mod 1 & Mod 2 tests through them, as impetus for her to get the Pup to road. A week later, 23rd May 2011, terrified I would make her do it on the Corporal, the Pup passed it's MOT, and Donna was all set to go do her CBT on it. We had two bikes 'in commission'. One for Donna, one for me! So, the Black-One, was now a no-pressure-project; there was no need for it, once done, so I could take my time.....

Part 3 - Fixing the Engine

  HOME Learner-Riders Workshop General Scrap-Book Miscellaneous e-mail  

Hit Counter
stats counter

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +